Pages

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 18 June 2013

Lemon Meringue Pie

Hello there!

Sorry for not being very active on the blog as I have been trying to get my university applications done. Last week one of my friends asked me if I knew how to bake a pie and that when I realised I didn't. Actually I had never tried a pie, any pie.

So I decided on making a Lemon Meringue Pie! And for my first and second try, I must say it wasn't all that bad.


First attempt.

Second attempt.

I used a proper pie pan for the first time but the quantity that the recipe mentioned was a little less for the pan. The second time I used a pan that was smaller but deeper. Keep in mind- ALWAYS USE THE THINNER PAN! There is a very valid reason for this. Firstly because the liquid inside gets cooked easily when it is more spread out and secondly because the top layer of the pie gets cooked really fast leaving the inside liquid like.

Ingredients:
  • 1 packet Marie biscuits
  • 130g unsalted butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 350ml condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup lemon juice
  • 1 lemon rind
  • 2 tbsp sugar
Procedure:
  • Crush the Marie biscuits in tiny pieces and simultaneously melt the butter. Slowly pour he melted butter into the crushed biscuits and mix it well with your hand. 



  • After the biscuit and butter is mixed well, set it in the pie pan. Remember to use a thin pan. Bake it in the oven for about 5 minutes at 180 C.


  • In a larger bowl grate the lemon rind and take out the juice of the lemon. To that add the 2 egg yolks and condensed milk. Whisk it well. Leave the egg whites separately for later.


  • Whisk the egg whites and sugar together to form meringue. Continue until you can see soft peeks of the egg white. 
  • Once done, pour the condensed milk mixture in the pie pan. 

  • Then pour in the meringue as the top layer and put it in the oven at 180C. Bake it till the top is brown in colour. 

Let me know in the comments below if you tried out the recipe and how it turned out :)

Enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment